H1B active in October, want to goto business school in August

Shruti Sharma

I have approval notice of H1B petition filed by my current employer but it's not going to activate till October. I want to attend an MBA school that starts in August. If I enroll into the MBA program, what will happen to my H1B? Right now, I am on my 17-month OPT extension. 

Also, after I graduate with my MBA degree, will I have to go through the lottery again? It is a 2 year long program and I will graduate in May 2016. How soon can I start working right after graduation assuming I find a job ahead of my graduation date?

Thanks! 

I have approval notice of H1B petition filed by my current employer but it's not going to activate till October. I want to attend an MBA school that starts in August. If I enroll into the MBA program, what will happen to my H1B? Right now, I am on my 17-month OPT extension. 

Also, after I graduate with my MBA degree, will I have to go through the lottery again? It is a 2 year long program and I will graduate in May 2016. How soon can I start working right after graduation assuming I find a job ahead of my graduation date?

Thanks! 

You need to move to F1 or H4 status to do your MBA. All your future H1B petitions are cap exempt (an employer can apply anytime and get approval) till you reach your max stay of 6 years on H1B status in US.

Archived