Second Masters. H4 to F1 conversion

rbks

Hi all

I came to the USA on 2010. I did my first masters in public Health from SUNy Albany. I was to convert from H4 to F1 then, but due to my pregnancy, i continued in H4. i completed that masters in 2013. 

Now I applied for MS/PhD program in Health Informatics in  Northeastern University, Boston. I want to study in F1. 

-->I dont know which is better. If converting it while in the USA or going outside the country and doing the stamping. 

--> If i choose to go outside the country, can i do it in canada or should I go to my home country ( india).

--> If i choose to apply via USCIS, how long will it take for the visa. some say it takes several months, but my program starts in August. 

--> also Will i be eligible for H1B under masters quota after this?

--> How long will the OPT/CPT period be for such courses, or does it differ from each university. 

Please help me with these questions. 

-->I dont know which is better. If converting it while in the USA or going outside the country and doing the stamping. 

--> If i choose to go outside the country, can i do it in canada or should I go to my home country ( india).

--> If i choose to apply via USCIS, how long will it take for the visa. some say it takes several months, but my program starts in August. 

--> How long will the OPT/CPT period be for such courses, or does it differ from each university. 

1. either one is fine

2. home country is best option

3. it takes around 3-4 months

4. If your degree is from public university then yes

5. OPT is given after completing the course.

Hi all

I came to the USA on 2010. I did my first masters in public Health from SUNy Albany. I was to convert from H4 to F1 then, but due to my pregnancy, i continued in H4. i completed that masters in 2013. 

Now I applied for MS/PhD program in Health Informatics in  Northeastern University, Boston. I want to study in F1. 

Please help me with these questions. 

1. Both are same.

2. Home country.

3. 3 to 4 months. It is not a visa but COS.

4. Only if the degree is from an accredited, public or non-profit institution.

5. Forget CPT. OPT will be the ideal way forward.

Archived