OPT Security Check : I'm worried

oxfordcomma

Hi, 

I am a PhD student graduating in August 2014. Recently, I got a job at a top US university as a postdoctoral scholar. I applied for OPT a few days ago and I am worried about one thing. A few years ago, it took me about a year to get my F-1 visa because I had a "common Muslim name" and I went through administrative processing. Will this delay my OPT process? Will I again wait for it about a year? The international student office in my university told me that the background check for OPT (that USCIS conducts) is far less extensive than for visa applications and the longest OPT application procedure they have seen so far took 4 months (without RFEs). I am looking forward to your response.

Hi, 

I am a PhD student graduating in August 2014. Recently, I got a job at a top US university as a postdoctoral scholar. I applied for OPT a few days ago and I am worried about one thing. A few years ago, it took me about a year to get my F-1 visa because I had a "common Muslim name" and I went through administrative processing. Will this delay my OPT process? Will I again wait for it about a year? The international student office in my university told me that the background check for OPT (that USCIS conducts) is far less extensive than for visa applications and the longest OPT application procedure they have seen so far took 4 months (without RFEs). I am looking forward to your response.

Should not be an issue.

Archived