Regarding old H1B

Sanabk

After finishing MS, I worked for 5 years and was laid-off. Green card labor was filed, but it never took off. I changed my status from H1B to F1 and currently pursing PhD. 

My question is, if at all I take up a new job after finishing PhD am I eligible for new 6yrs of H1B or just the remaining 1year (left over from my past job). 

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

After finishing MS, I worked for 5 years and was laid-off. Green card labor was filed, but it never took off. I changed my status from H1B to F1 and currently pursing PhD. 

My question is, if at all I take up a new job after finishing PhD am I eligible for new 6yrs of H1B or just the remaining 1year (left over from my past job). 

If a cap exempt H1B petition is filed then you get the remaining 1 year. If a cap subject H1B is filed you will get 6 years.

In addition to my previous reply, to file a cap subject H1B petition you need to be outside US for 365 days before H1B petition filing.

Remaining one year. But I think you might get your GC by the time you complete your PhD

Archived