Travel on valid STEM, pending processing H1B

agfx

Hi,

My STEM got recently approved and my status has been extended till Sep 2015. At the same time, my employer filed for H1-B, which has been picked in the lottery and is under processing now. 

I want to travel to India in Sep 2014 for a week. is it possible to re-enter US before 1 Oct on STEM? Is it contingent on whether H1B decision has been received or not? If it is, what is the usual expected time to hear the decision on H1?

• 2 weeks later...

So I received an approval for my H1-B. I have another follow up question:

I intend to visit India in first week of Sept. I know I can take a stamping appointment in Sept for H1. Now I intend to travel back to US on 7 Sep. I will have a valid OPT STEM on 7 Sept. 

If I get H1B stamped before 7 Sep and then travel to US, can I enter US on OPT STEM? Technically, my H1B will go into effect on 1 Oct and I will have STEM till 30 Sep.

Does having a H1 stamp on passport invalidate my STEM? Will they stop me at port of entry if I intend to enter US on 7 Sep on F1 OPT STEM?

So I received an approval for my H1-B. I have another follow up question:

I intend to visit India in first week of Sept. I know I can take a stamping appointment in Sept for H1. Now I intend to travel back to US on 7 Sep. I will have a valid OPT STEM on 7 Sept. 

If I get H1B stamped before 7 Sep and then travel to US, can I enter US on OPT STEM? Technically, my H1B will go into effect on 1 Oct and I will have STEM till 30 Sep.

Does having a H1 stamp on passport invalidate my STEM? Will they stop me at port of entry if I intend to enter US on 7 Sep on F1 OPT STEM?

Once you enter on H1, you are no longer on F1.

Archived