Question for CPT

First, which university? Legitimate CPT is very rare. And a competent university would tell you the rules.

Second, you of course have to continue attending classes. That of course makes it necessary that the location of your legitimate CPT job has to be within normal commuting range of the university.

How else would you be able to go to classes???

No real university would allow you to use CPT to work outside of normal commuting range.

First, which university? Legitimate CPT is very rare. And a competent university would tell you the rules.

Second, you of course have to continue attending classes. That of course makes it necessary that the location of your legitimate CPT job has to be within normal commuting range of the university.

How else would you be able to go to classes???

No real university would allow you to use CPT to work outside of normal commuting rang

Just because people from some universities are abusing CPT doesn't mean, everyone who is posting on this forum is doing so.. so Stop advising on this criteria.

When I was doing my master's , I got an internship and that allowed me to work fulltime. Now, my university was in Illinois, but I was able to work in New Jersy. My school granted me Full time CPT, since my thesis advisor, felt that it would help my course of work and research. My school was University of Illinois at Urbana- Champaign. I was doing that internship for over 7 months and then went back to school FT  to complete my course work. You can work less than 11 months 29 days on CPT to not make your OPT void. 

Please consult someone who has knowledge and stop listening to people on this forum who have more than 5000 posts. Just because they have knowledge in some areas, don't make them experts in all subject area's of immigration.

Simk,

Your situation was very different from most posters on this forum, they want to use CPT for working when they did not get selected for H1B. They want it from the time they enrolled; yours was embedded in the time you were in school. They want to work full time and take required classes online, on the weekend or not at all. Their CPT job likely does not meet the requirements of their degree.

The DSO at the school is the proper person to consult if CPT is possible in the curriculum.  While an adviser may suggest it, he/she is not likely to know the immigration aspects of the program.

There are a number of schools that take advantage of their students by charging high tuition for a program that meets no standards. USCs and LPRs suffer from these schools as well.

Hi

I have a quick question..!!

Is there any legal rule that students on CPT should have their Employer location near to the University?? If so with in how many miles should be the employer location ??

Please advice accordingly..!!

CPT is part of your F1 and you need to take classes though you are working on CPT. So your CPT work location should be near to your school so that you can commute easily.

Recently a school in west coast was raided and closed. During the investigation ICE found that people were working in east coast on CPT.

Just because people from some universities are abusing CPT doesn't mean, everyone who is posting on this forum is doing so.. so Stop advising on this criteria.

When I was doing my master's , I got an internship and that allowed me to work fulltime. Now, my university was in Illinois, but I was able to work in New Jersy. My school granted me Full time CPT, since my thesis advisor, felt that it would help my course of work and research. My school was University of Illinois at Urbana- Champaign. I was doing that internship for over 7 months and then went back to school FT  to complete my course work. You can work less than 11 months 29 days on CPT to not make your OPT void. 

Please consult someone who has knowledge and stop listening to people on this forum who have more than 5000 posts. Just because they have knowledge in some areas, don't make them experts in all subject area's of immigration.

Pretty much everybody who asks about CPT stuff in forums IS abusing CPT.

I suggest YOU get an education about these things.

And you should stop trying to fight with me. It just makes you look silly.

Actually, in your situation, pre-completion OPT would likely have been the better choice.

CPT is for work as integral part of the curriculum.

Legitimate CPT is very rare. And, the rules weren't enforced all that much before the TVU case.

With the TVU founder convicted on all counts of immigration violations, of money laundering, etc., even real universities limit CPT much more nowadays.

That's the difference between thinking something from years back still applies and keeping up-to-date with developments...

Archived