Summer camp in the US then college

achin12

Hello,

My sister is a high school student and has been accepted to a US college which starts middle August this year. Later on, she got an award from her high school to go to the US for summer camp (3 weeks) in July. I know you cannot come to the US 1 month earlier than your school's start date. I wonder if the only option she has is to apply for B-2 and the fly back to my home country to interview for F-1? Do you think there's any possible solution besides this? Thanks very much.

Hello,

My sister is a high school student and has been accepted to a US college which starts middle August this year. Later on, she got an award from her high school to go to the US for summer camp (3 weeks) in July. I know you cannot come to the US 1 month earlier than your school's start date. I wonder if the only option she has is to apply for B-2 and the fly back to my home country to interview for F-1? Do you think there's any possible solution besides this? Thanks very much.

That's pretty much the only realistic option.

It is technically possible to do a change of status while in the US, but that can take several months, and she would have to wait for that to be done before she could start studying, because on B2, a person is not allowed to enroll in college.

• 2 weeks later...

That's pretty much the only realistic option.

It is technically possible to do a change of status while in the US, but that can take several months, and she would have to wait for that to be done before she could start studying, because on B2, a person is not allowed to enroll in college.

Thanks very much for your response. I think this is the way to go in her situation.

Since she's under 18 and will travel only with another under 18 year old student who also will participate in the summer camp, is it difficult for her to get B-2 visa? She got the invitation letter from the US summer camp organization which also states that all her staying in the US in the camp will be covered by them. My parents only pay for her airline tickets.

Also, I'm on F-1 OPT extension visa, would this affect my sister getting her B-2 and later on F-1?

Thanks for your help.

Archived