H1-B clock reset question

sprash98

Ok, this is a topic that has been discusses a lot, but given my circumstances, I thought I would ask this. In 2009, I lost my job while working on my H1-B (counted against the cap) and had to leave the country for 18 months. I re-entered the country in Nov 2010 on an H1-B filed by a university (cap-exempt) and have since moved on to two different companies, both of which count against the H1-B cap. I was told that since I've been away for over a year, my H1-B clock had been reset. But I came across articles which mentioned that I would need to come back in a visa that counted against the cap, for that to hold true. My current H1-B expires in Jan 2015, and I am just beginning the GC process. Am I in trouble? Or did my clock reset giving me time till 2016?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am on pins and needles at htis moment

Unless one of the H1s for the last two companies was filed in the quota process, your time has not reset.

Essentially, you get counted a maximum of once for the 6 years.

Being abroad for a year before a new H1 is filed could reset the time, even if the new H1 is a cap-exempt petition.

But then, a petition subject to the cap would have to be filed in the annual cap.

If that didn't happen, it is clear that the H1 is a continuation of the previous cap-counted H1, i.e., the time is not reset.

Thank you for your reply,Joe. Just heard the bad news myself. Now, given that I still have to commence my GC, am I in trouble with the Jan deadline looming? Can I still start the process and continue working?

I have no idea how long PERM takes nowadays. I don't really follow the ups and downs of the timeframes.

Check things with your lawyer, and soon.

Archived