Current I-797 and renewal I-797 - what should be used?

bapugandu

Hi all,

I have a I-797 valid till Oct 2014. I need to visit India in June and have to get my visa stamped. If I go with my current I-797, the visa will be approved only till Oct 2014. 

So I convinced my employer to file for an H1B extension right away (they would have to do it anyway before October 2014). They filed premium and now I have a new I-797 approved from Oct 2014 to Oct 2017. 

My question is: what receipt number should I use when completing the DS-160 form: the old one (which is effective till Oct 2014) or the new one (which is effective from Oct 2014).

The whole idea of filing for an extension 6 months before it expires was so that I can get a three year and not a 6 month visa.

Will this work?

Thanks for the feedback

Hi all,

I have a I-797 valid till Oct 2014. I need to visit India in June and have to get my visa stamped. If I go with my current I-797, the visa will be approved only till Oct 2014. 

So I convinced my employer to file for an H1B extension right away (they would have to do it anyway before October 2014). They filed premium and now I have a new I-797 approved from Oct 2014 to Oct 2017. 

My question is: what receipt number should I use when completing the DS-160 form: the old one (which is effective till Oct 2014) or the new one (which is effective from Oct 2014).

The whole idea of filing for an extension 6 months before it expires was so that I can get a three year and not a 6 month visa.

Will this work?

Thanks for the feedback

Current valid one (valid till Oct 2014). Show both I797s to VO during interview.

Current valid one (valid till Oct 2014). Show both I797s to VO during interview.

I'm in the same situation..

Jairichi, can you explain why you'll advise use current valid one instead of the extended one?

Thank you very much for your help.

Alex.

Archived