Non IT

I am a graduate of BS Nursing and has 13+ years in IT.  I believe I qualify for H1B if will be based on experience (3yrs=1yr of formal education).  I also had experience working in the US for 7mos under L1B and my credential evaluation stated that I have 2 degrees: Bachelor of Science with Dual Major in Nursing and Computer Systems.  I got selected in this year's lottery, do you think there will be concerns in terms of educational background?  Appreciate your thoughts.

Many thanks in advance

I am a graduate of BS Nursing and has 13+ years in IT.  I believe I qualify for H1B if will be based on experience (3yrs=1yr of formal education).  I also had experience working in the US for 7mos under L1B and my credential evaluation stated that I have 2 degrees: Bachelor of Science with Dual Major in Nursing and Computer Systems.  I got selected in this year's lottery, do you think there will be concerns in terms of educational background?  Appreciate your thoughts.

Many thanks in advance

Should not be any issue.

I question the validity of your credential evaluation if it really specified a DEGREE in CS. 

H1B can use experience a a qualifier. Experience does not actually translate to the education as it is practical rather than theoretical. Review the ACM/IEEE documents on computing curricula to see what I mean.

CS is a very theoretical program. Although I have a MS in engineering and over 20 years of experience in IT, I would never claim to have a degree equivalent in CS.  My value was as an engineer who could program and analyze software requirements. You are likely in the same situation if you are doing medically based software.

I question the validity of your credential evaluation if it really specified a DEGREE in CS.

H1B can use experience a a qualifier. Experience does not actually translate to the education as it is practical rather than theoretical. Review the ACM/IEEE documents on computing curricula to see what I mean.

CS is a very theoretical program. Although I have a MS in engineering and over 20 years of experience in IT, I would never claim to have a degree equivalent in CS. My value was as an engineer who could program and analyze software requirements. You are likely in the same situation if you are doing medically based software.

Didi i claim to have the cs degree? please read my prev post, that was based on the result of the educational equivalency conducted by a certain university in NY. and thats not the one in question. if you need validity go to Baruch and NJiT and ask them. Thanks!

Many thanks in advance

You appear to be planning to claim equivalency to a CS degree when you have only a degree in nursing. It is like my saying that because I took care of sick children, aging parents and a husband that I am qualified as a nurse because of my practical experience.

As far as I know, credential evaluations are not conducted by universities except for admission into their programs. You are surely not claiming this based on an admission to an online program at NJIT. Most graduate schools would require articulation courses to correct course deficiencies as part of a graduate program.  They do not want to dumb down their programs for unprepared students. Did you bother to read the information on Computing Curriculum?

You appear to be planning to claim equivalency to a CS degree when you have only a degree in nursing. It is like my saying that because I took care of sick children, aging parents and a husband that I am qualified as a nurse because of my practical experience.

As far as I know, credential evaluations are not conducted by universities except for admission into their programs. You are surely not claiming this based on an admission to an online program at NJIT. Most graduate schools would require articulation courses to correct course deficiencies as part of a graduate program. They do not want to dumb down their programs for unprepared students. Did you bother to read the information on Computing Curriculum?

@Jairichi - thanks for response, that's the answer I was looking for in my post

&t75 - i dont know where you are coming from but your argument doesnt make any sense to me and the intent of my post is to ask opinions of others regarding my case. if you can answer that thanks, we all have opinions and that is your opinion and i respect that but if you will insist with your argument, my apologies but I will not entertain that.

@Jairichi - thanks for response, that's the answer I was looking for in my post

&t75 - i dont know where you are coming from but your argument doesnt make any sense to me and the intent of my post is to ask opinions of others regarding my case. if you can answer that thanks, we all have opinions and that is your opinion and i respect that but if you will insist with your argument, my apologies but I will not entertain that.

No, t75 has a valid point. Credential evaluations for H1B are not done by universities but by accredited agencies. Your 13+ years of experience in IT might  help you. Why don't you talk to a good attorney and get an evaluation done by such agency?

No, t75 has a valid point. Credential evaluations for H1B are not done by universities but by accredited agencies. Your 13+ years of experience in IT might help you. Why don't you talk to a good attorney and get an evaluation done by such agency?

Already have and that was done suring my L1B application and mine was done by Baruch and NJIT I dont know where this evaluation are being done but that was provided to me by our company's immigration affiliate and my company is one of the giant in tech so im sure they're doing it correctly an not their first time to engage in such. i understand the purpose of educational equivalency and that is use in the event that an applicant does not have the minimum required educational requirement on the job being applied but literally it will not give you to have the right to claim that you have that degree even if it was stated in the document.

So i stated that in my post to give readers a brief background of what i have and that my experience already undergone an educational equivalency so that you can provide opinion based on my case. But if you will look at my resume you will not see BS CS listed as one of my degree.

But to correct, life science is not the same as IT even if you take care of sick oeople doesnt mean you qualify as a nurse, since you need to undergo formal program and this field deals with life. many people works as nursing aid but that vocation still requires certification and formal education.

Already have and that was done suring my L1B application and mine was done by Baruch and NJIT I dont know where this evaluation are being done but that was provided to me by our company's immigration affiliate and my company is one of the giant in tech so im sure they're doing it correctly an not their first time to engage in such. i understand the purpose of educational equivalency and that is use in the event that an applicant does not have the minimum required educational requirement on the job being applied but literally it will not give you to have the right to claim that you have that degree even if it was stated in the document.

So i stated that in my post to give readers a brief background of what i have and that my experience already undergone an educational equivalency so that you can provide opinion based on my case. But if you will look at my resume you will not see BS CS listed as one of my degree.

But to correct, life science is not the same as IT even if you take care of sick oeople doesnt mean you qualify as a nurse, since you need to undergo formal program and this field deals with life. many people works as nursing aid but that vocation still requires certification and formal education.

Good to know. Then there should not be any concern. If an RFE is raised your attorney will handle it.

Archived