URGENT: H1 - F1 (spouse on greencard)...when can i quit current job?

Hello,

I have secured admission in California where my husband is based (course starting July 14) and am currently working in DC. My H1(first time applicant) expires on Sept 14, 2014.  I have my I-20 and plan to apply for F1 this week and should get both the receipts.

The idea to move from H1 - F1 in CA is so that my husband and I can start our lives together soon. Someone in mid-30's would understand that as priority :)

My questions are -

1. How many days would it take to get my actual F1 visa?

2. How soon can I quit my current job and move to California, in advance of my course?

3. If my company allows me to go on unpaid leave from end of May - June 30, so I can be on their records, does it qualify for being in status?

4. Or else, if I quit by end of May, what is my status from end of May - start of school - July 14?

Please let me know.

Thank you

Hello,

I have secured admission in California where my husband is based (course starting July 14) and am currently working in DC. My H1(first time applicant) expires on Sept 14, 2014.  I have my I-20 and plan to apply for F1 this week and should get both the receipts.

The idea to move from H1 - F1 in CA is so that my husband and I can start our lives together soon. Someone in mid-30's would understand that as priority :)

My questions are -

1. How many days would it take to get my actual F1 visa?

2. How soon can I quit my current job and move to California, in advance of my course?

3. If my company allows me to go on unpaid leave from end of May - June 30, so I can be on their records, does it qualify for being in status?

4. Or else, if I quit by end of May, what is my status from end of May - start of school - July 14?

Please let me know.

Thank you

1. If all your documents are good and you appear at a US consulate it should be immediate.

2. Not more than 30 days before your class start date.

3. There is no unpaid leave on H1B.

4. Refer 2.

Archived