Duration of stay calculation on H1B plus L1B

deepsum

Hi All ,

Need an input ... on the duration of the stay ....

I have spent around 3.7 years on the L1 from Nov 2009 to Jun 2013 and when the L1 did not got extended I came back .

Again 2014 applied for the H1 and got through , I have couple of questions ....

1. Will the period of 3.7 years will counted aganist total 6 years of the H1 i.e reaming 2.5 years of stay in US.

Or

2. Since the gap between coming back from US and the going to US will be more than 365 days , approx 1.5 years , will the duration clock will reset i.e. for whole 6 years from Oct '14 - Oct' 20?

Thanks

Suman

Hi All ,

I have spent around 3.7 years on the L1 from Nov 2009 to Jun 2013 and when the L1 did not got extended I came back .

1. Will the period of 3.7 years will counted aganist total 6 years of the H1 i.e reaming 2.5 years of stay in US.

Or

2. Since the gap between coming back from US and the going to US will be more than 365 days , approx 1.5 years , will the duration clock will reset i.e. for whole 6 years from Oct '14 - Oct' 20?

Thanks

Suman

The answer is 1.

Hi All ,

Or

Thanks

Suman

1. Yes

2.The gap should be 1 year from exit to H1 filing date not from the date of next entry.

• 2 years later...

I have been on L-1b from Oct 2011 to Jan 2014. After L1 expired I switched to H4 visa as a dependent to my husband but continued to stay in the US. Starting Oct 2014 I am on H-1B, my H-1B expires in Sept 2017. Will my stay on H4 be counted towards the total period of stay?

Archived