H4 to F1 to study

Snehakeerthi27

Hi All,

I came to US on H4 visa in July 2013. I applied for H1b this year, but unfortunately i was not lucky enough to be selected. Hence am searching for study options.

I want to do my masters on F1 visa and I want to start ASAP(may be this year fall) . I have not written GRE/GMAT and I cant dedicate 2 years for my masters. I'm planning to join a degree program which doesnt require GRE/GMAT. I have the following questions.

1) Is it already too late to join for a degree program for this fall?

2) How long will it take to get a change of status from H4 to F1?

3) I'm planning to travel to India during the month of july for a month and come back on existing H4 stamping. I want to avoid F1 visa stamping. How late can i apply for F1 change of status without any problems?

Thanks in advance!

Hi All,

I came to US on H4 visa in July 2013. I applied for H1b this year, but unfortunately i was not lucky enough to be selected. Hence am searching for study options.

I want to do my masters on F1 visa and I want to start ASAP(may be this year fall) . I have not written GRE/GMAT and I cant dedicate 2 years for my masters. I'm planning to join a degree program which doesnt require GRE/GMAT. I have the following questions.

3) I'm planning to travel to India during the month of july for a month and come back on existing H4 stamping. I want to avoid F1 visa stamping. How late can i apply for F1 change of status without any problems?

Thanks in advance!

1. If you are looking at a good accredited university then the answer is YES.

2. 3 to 4 months plus.

3. Only after your travel back from India on H4 you can apply for a COS to F1.

Their is no shortcut for master's degree. You need to study at least 1.5 yrs to get a master's degree from ANY US university. Good universities will ask for GRE scores, its better if you take GRE.

1. Check on the university websites. They have complete information

2. 3-4 months

3. Apply after you travel back to US.

Hi All,

Thanks in advance!

Avoid institutions that don't require GRE/GMAT. Such institutions are low-level and most likely outright frauds.

You would just waste your money.

A Masters degree takes time. There are no shortcuts. Or do you have too much money burning a hole in your pocket? Then do good and donate it to a worthy cause.

Real universities have deadlines. Application deadlines for Fall Quarter are over already. Universities are already sending out admission letters.

Your best option is to apply at a public university. Check the websites of public universities in your area, and see when their next application windows open.

Archived