Using EAD only for Driver's License Renewal

Hi,

I got my EAD 6 months back. I am still waiting for my Green Card. Till I get my green card I want to stay on H1B visa only and not use my EAD for Immigration or Employment purpose. I mean not changing the status from H1B to EAD.

I am in state of California and here they give Driver's License (DL) only for the duration my H1B. My H1B is expiring in 2 months, but I am waiting for the dates to be current so that I will get my GC. I am not renewing my H1B for now. But to renew my DL if I use EAD as valid legal status to stay in US, will the be similar to using my EAD for employment/immigration purpose?

In short If I use my EAD for DL renewal, and i continue using H1B for my legal status, is that OK? Or using my EAD for DL also impacts on my status?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I got my EAD 6 months back. I am still waiting for my Green Card. Till I get my green card I want to stay on H1B visa only and not use my EAD for Immigration or Employment purpose. I mean not changing the status from H1B to EAD.

I am in state of California and here they give Driver's License (DL) only for the duration my H1B. My H1B is expiring in 2 months, but I am waiting for the dates to be current so that I will get my GC. I am not renewing my H1B for now. But to renew my DL if I use EAD as valid legal status to stay in US, will the be similar to using my EAD for employment/immigration purpose?

In short If I use my EAD for DL renewal, and i continue using H1B for my legal status, is that OK? Or using my EAD for DL also impacts on my status? please let me know.

Archived