H-1B RFE

Spandana123

Hi,

My OPT extension was ended on March 2014. I applied for H-1B (premium processing) in 60 days grace period i.e., on April 01 2014. My H-1B got selected in lottery. I sent the receipt number to school DSO. By using the receipt number my school issued my I-20 on April 14 till June 01 2014 but no work authorization.

But now I have a RFE - RFE statement says that my school filed CAP GAP extension (I-20) on behalf of me, however it is filed untimely for the CAP-GAP provision after filing date of instant petition. 

Actually my 60 days grace period ends on May 2014. They are asking me to provide clear information that I maintained status during filing and I will be maintaining status till H-1B start date (Oct 01 2014)

I am just wondering, is it fine to request I-20 with receipt number when I am on grace period and H-1B is in processing ? What are the best options to solve. 

Thanks in advance!

Thank you so much for the information!

But my attorney is suggesting me to leave the country before May 10 2014 as my grace period is going to end, though I have valid I-20 till June 01 2014.

And my school DSO told me that they will issue I-20 till June 01 with receipt number (and as my H-1B is in processing). They told that they will extend I-20 till Sep 30 only if H-1B gets approved.

Could you please suggest?

1.   When there is REF and when my H-1B is in processing can I leave the country?

2.   If I leave the country, do I have to update my new address to USCIS?

Archived