OPT extension

tphani

My wife finished her MS in Computer science last August and has been working as an unpaid research assistant in a good state University till now. Now her professor has offered a paid position as a research associate. However my wife is leaving to India this week or a 3 month trip and will be back in the last week of July. She has the option of working from home in India.

Question -

My wife's OPT expires on July 10th. Can she apply for an OPT STEM extension while in India. She will have a letter from the Professor and the University that she has be working till today and will be working from home the next 3 months. She will also have an offer letter for the paid position, which will start from August 2014.

My wife finished her MS in Computer science last August and has been working as an unpaid research assistant in a good state University till now. Now her professor has offered a paid position as a research associate. However my wife is leaving to India this week or a 3 month trip and will be back in the last week of July. She has the option of working from home in India.

Question -

My wife's OPT expires on July 10th. Can she apply for an OPT STEM extension while in India. She will have a letter from the Professor and the University that she has be working till today and will be working from home the next 3 months. She will also have an offer letter for the paid position, which will start from August 2014.

I doubt she can apply for OPT extension as being unpaid on OPT for more than 3 months is equivalent to being out of status.

Question -

Check this link.

http://www.murthy.com/2013/11/25/unpaid-internships-on-f-1-opt-considered-unemployment/

If she goes on a 3 month trip, she will accrue "unemployment".  Working from home outside the US is not recognized as employment in the US. I wonder if the university has approved this scheme. Her professor is not likely to be qualified to pass judgment on immigration issues on behalf of the university.

Her OPT-EXT would have to begin immediately after her OPT; OPT-EXT must be paid. 

She needs to immediately go to the international officer at the university to discuss what she has been told. If she cannot do that, she needs to see an immigration attorney and be prepared to choose between her trip and the job.

Question -

I would be more concerned while travelling outside the US while on OPT. Your wife needs to contact the international office and ask above questions including travelling outside the US while on OPT. 

Archived