Possible F1 Status Violation

Srikumar2684

Hi All

My brother is pursuing an MS program from a reputed university here in US.

He initially opted for MS program without thesis option.

As per F1 rules, during a semester, a student is supposed to pursue 9 full time credits per semester OR pursue thesis option in which case 9 credits rule gets relaxed OR in case has completed required min 30 credits, has taken 10 courses and takes the comprehensive final exam to graduate(the 9 credits rules is relaxed)

My brother decided during the his last semester to switch to MS with Thesis option. He spoke with this university's International Student Office, he was orally asked to submit a letter (written by his thesis professor ) explaining why his study period is going to extend beyond this semester. This letter was supposed to submitted couple weeks before his semester ends(May 2nd).

My brother took 8 credits this semester, started working on his Thesis, however he opted to take credits for his Thesis only from this year's fall.

Today he gets called by the International Student Office asking him why he took only 8 credits without meeting other requirements in this semester. Their impression is that he is pursuing this semester as Part-time without meeting other requirements.

I want to know from this forum if the above situation is considered as violation of F1 status by Sevis/USCIS OR it is left up to university's discretion. Do we have any other recourse in this situation.

Thanks for patiently reading this thread and taking time to reply.

Archived