OPT for master's students

mrkavi

A community college degree does nothing for your career. I  do not understand why a CC would admit someone with a bachelors degree already for an associates degree. There are NO shortcuts. In fact, if you want to work, you are eligible for H1B now.

It may be too late for fall of 2014 in your area to gain an admit. Some schools admit masters students anly in the fall. Do NOT go with one of the no count online programs. If you are going to spend the time and money, get a respectable degree.

Then an assosciates from a CC is worthless.  She should apply for a bachelors at a respected university. She may need to complete 2 or more years to get a US bachelors; schools generally specify that the last 30 or 60n hours be in residence at their university. Then, she definitely qualifies for OPT

• 2 months later...

Guys,

Thanks for the replies.

Its been long to respond for your response. As i was waiting for my H1b to be picked.

As usual, my H1 is not picked this year.

Cant wait for one more year and trust general quota for H1b.

I want to pursue Master's. 

As i am on H4 status, kindly guide me in registering for full-time student in any college.

What will be the procedure for the same??

Thanks

Guys,

Thanks for the replies.

Its been long to respond for your response. As i was waiting for my H1b to be picked.

As i am on H4 status, kindly guide me in registering for full-time student in any college.

Thanks

It is a homework you have to do.

Guys,

Thanks for the replies.

Thanks

You fill out an application. Choose a respected university, e.g., a public university in your area.

There is competition for the limited spaces, so be very clear on what you want to study, and why. Also, visiting the university and talking with professors helps showing that you are serious. They want people who are serious in studying.

You can't wait for one more year, can you wait for 2 yrs to finish your master's degree and start working ??

Moreover the admissions for fall semester are closed, you have to apply for spring which starts in December and for that you need to take GRE and TOFEL to get admission into ANY US college.

Check your local branch of the state university.  You will need TOEFL and GRE for most programs. Do NOT enroll with a for profit school.  The international student office will be a good resource. For many programs, it is too late for fall entry.

Hi All,

Thanks for the replies.

After lot of research, planning to register as full-time student for MS.

Found one non profit school in South Jersey for this fall. 

In order to register as full-time student, please provide the procedure to change the status from H4 to F1?

What all documents are needed?

Do i need to talk to any immigration lawyer for it?

Thanks

Hi All,

Thanks for the replies.

After lot of research, planning to register as full-time student for MS.

Found one non profit school in South Jersey for this fall. 

In order to register as full-time student, please provide the procedure to change the status from H4 to F1?

What all documents are needed?

Do i need to talk to any immigration lawyer for it?

Thanks

First you need an admission before you change your status to F1. And for that you need to take GRE and TOEFL, without these you can't move forward.

Hi,

Thanks for the replies.

Read an article on rediff. Please follow the link for information.

http://www.*************.com/****************

My question is, is this really gonna happen??

I mean my spouse started her PERM process. On July 1, her attorney sent job description to labor department for PWD.

May be it might take 12 to 15 months for I-140 to get approved. If this is the case, then i might work after her I-140 gets approved??

Please provide clarification on my query.

If this will not happen, then i might opt for master's.

Thanks

Hi,

Thanks for the replies.

I mean my spouse started her PERM process. On July 1, her attorney sent job description to labor department for PWD.

May be it might take 12 to 15 months for I-140 to get approved. If this is the case, then i might work after her I-140 gets approved??

Thanks

It is a proposal and nothing can be confirmed as of now.

Hi,

Thanks for the replies.

Thanks

You won't get any work authorization after I140 approval, EAD's for H4 is not approved by the congress.

If you really want to go to school then go for master's, if you want to work then go for work visa (H1).

Don't believe everything that's written on the Internet.

Lots of different things may or may not happen in immigration-related matters. Or nothing may happen at all.

Don't make decisions based on some proposed stuff that may or may not become law, until it actually does become law.

Archived