H1-H4-H1-Portability

sb82

Hello,

I was working on H1B until July 2012 and then I left the country to pursue my masters. I am back in USA since July 2013 on H4 and have found a job last month. The employer is filing for my H1(a change of status from H4->H1).

There is a confusion about my start date. Could someone please tell me if I can start work as soon as I get the COS receipt or should I wait till I get the approval notice?

I have done Change of status from H4->H1 in 2009 and the attorney at that time told me I can start work as soon as I got the receipt and don't have to wait for the approval notice. I got the petition approved 2 months after I actually started work.

Appreciate your help!

Regards,

SB.

Hello,

I was working on H1B until July 2012 and then I left the country to pursue my masters. I am back in USA since July 2013 on H4 and have found a job last month. The employer is filing for my H1(a change of status from H4->H1).

There is a confusion about my start date. Could someone please tell me if I can start work as soon as I get the COS receipt or should I wait till I get the approval notice?

I have done Change of status from H4->H1 in 2009 and the attorney at that time told me I can start work as soon as I got the receipt and don't have to wait for the approval notice. I got the petition approved 2 months after I actually started work.

Appreciate your help!

Regards,

SB.

Only after approval. What you did in 2009 was illegal. Do not repeat that.

Archived