OPT for Post-Masters program.

DCDesi05

I have a Masters degree and have used an OPT for the same. Now, am planning on joining a full time Post-Masters degree program (accredited University, non-profit, and program has STEM approved CIP #) with F-1 visa, that lasts for a full academic year, and a Master's degree is required for admission to this program.

Under 8 CFR 214.2(f)(10), “A student may be authorized 12 months of practical training, and becomes eligible for another 12 months of practical training when he or she changes to a higher educational level.” 
My question is, since this post-masters program requires a Masters degree for admission to the program, does it qualify as a higher education level, and would this then make me eligible for a second OPT?

Also, a NAFSA conference with Nebraska Service Center had the following advice on a similar issue. However, am not sure if an OPT was ever issued finally.

"2. Post-Masters Certificate Program- Eligibility for OPT 

F-1 student previously had OPT approved for Bachelor and Master's degrees. Student recently applied for standard OPT based on completion of a post-Master's certificate program. A Master's degree is required for admission to this certificate program, so the school believes it should be considered a higher level. NSC sent an RFE indicating that "a certificate program would not be considered a higher degree level." 

According to 214.2(f)(10)(ii)(A)(3), a student may apply for OPT "after completion of the course of study, or, for a student in a bachelor's, master's, or doctoral degree program, after completion of all course requirements for the degree (excluding thesis or equivalent)." Under 8 CFR 214.2(f)(10), “A student may be authorized 12 months of practical training, and becomes eligible for another 12 months of practical training when he or she changes to a higher educational level.” 
The regulatory only refers to a higher educational level, not a higher degree level.  Can NSC clarify why a post-masters certificate program would not qualify as a higher educational level when a master’s degree is required for admission to the program? 

Summary of NSC verbal response: Post-masters certificate programs can be acceptable as a higher level of education. It is possible to be authorized for OPT based on a certificate program as long as the student has been enrolled one full academic year, the certificate program is at a level beyond the master’s degree, the certificate program is an actual course of study rather than just additional courses, and the certificate program is through a legitimate institution of higher education. The NSC can RFE when there is doubt regarding the certificate program. For example, sometimes applicants submit a “certificate” as another level when the program was only 4-5 months, so NSC may ask for more information to ensure that the certificate is valid. The school should respond with more information about the program."

The university international office and program sponsors should be able to discuss your work options following completion of the program.  In addition, you can apply for H1B based on your current educational credentials so why obsess about OPT.

Certificates don't count.

You could only get OPT if you get a PhD.

Maybe you didn't read my post completely. This is NOT a certificate program. Its a full time advanced degree program that lasts a complete academic year, has an approved STEM CIP number, and is from an accredited University. A full-time program is eligible for a F1 visa, a certificate program is not eligible. In fact this program is eligible for an OPT too. The only question I had was whether this program qualifies as a level of education higher than a Masters, (because you cannot enter the program without a Masters degree) and whether this will allow me to have a second OPT. 

Please go through the NAFSA ruling I provided in my previous post again.

The university international office and program sponsors should be able to discuss your work options following completion of the program.  In addition, you can apply for H1B based on your current educational credentials so why obsess about OPT.

I plan on doing this program in a very new area of study, and need the OPT to gain experience in it's field of work. Also, with H1B applications rising, its always better to have an alternative in case you are not selected in the lottery.

Maybe you didn't read my post completely. This is NOT a certificate program. Its a full time advanced degree program that lasts a complete academic year, has an approved STEM CIP number, and is from an accredited University. A full-time program is eligible for a F1 visa, a certificate program is not eligible. In fact this program is eligible for an OPT too. The only question I had was whether this program qualifies as a level of education higher than a Masters, (because you cannot enter the program without a Masters degree) and whether this will allow me to have a second OPT. 

Please go through the NAFSA ruling I provided in my previous post again.

What is the degree conferred?

If it is a degree program, you should get a degree in the end. What is that? In that big post of yours, I didn't see the degree mentioned once. I saw "certificate program" mentioned, e.g., "Summary of NSC verbal response: Post-masters certificate programs can be acceptable as a higher level of education."

So, what is it?

The only higher degree after a Masters is a PhD. If this isn't a PhD program, and you have had OPT on the Masters level, you can't get another OPT.

I plan on doing this program in a very new area of study, and need the OPT to gain experience in it's field of work. Also, with H1B applications rising, its always better to have an alternative in case you are not selected in the lottery.

New area of study?  Since you can obtain a second master's in a years time, why opt for something that has little accepted value?

F1 visa is NOT a way to remain in the US. In order to get an F-1, you had to attest that you intend to return to your home country following the completion of your studies. Did you lie?  If not, go home and get experience if you are not selected for H1B.  It looks like you are just trying to justify another OPT so you can continue to live in the US.

I sure wish that USCIS would close down these schemes.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like you are just digging for a way to identify users on this forum. Why would I post specifics about my situation on a public forum? No, am not required to tell you exactly where I plan to study. 

If all you can conclude from 'a new area of study' is that it is 'something that has little accepted value' than I can only feel sorry for your. The first computer science program was only started in the 1950's and was still considered a new area of study until the late 1980's. I am sure you know the value of these programs at this point in time. (And no, before you jump to more illogical conclusions, my field of interest is nowhere close to computer science)

And no there is no scheme or scam going on here. I came back to my home country and have been working here for years post my first Masters degree. This Post-Masters degree will only enhance my profile with the new domain knowledge. But gaining knowledge and putting it into practice are two different things, and this is where an OPT comes into the picture. Maybe, you should stop drawing strawman conclusions. 

P.S. Maybe you should read my post again, since you seem to have difficulty finding words already mentioned in it. I won't be replying again to your diatribe. I hope I get a more relevant answer from others on the forum. If not, if and when I do have an answer from other sources, I will update this post.

Archived