Returning back to US just 2 weeks before stamping expiry and with new H1 renewal

srikanth552

My visa stamping is valid till Sep 29th and I will be traveling to India in August and return in september (just 2 weeks before expiry).

I am going to apply for H1 extension in few days, So hopefully my extension will be approved by the time I travel to India. So I will be having H1 extension but stamping till Sep 29th.

1. So is it ok to travel to India without getting stamping on the new H1 extension?

2. Do I need to mention anything about the i-94 at POE ( with i-94 becoming online recently)

Thanks in advance

You can enter with new approval and existing Visa stamp.  Show the new approval at PoE  and you will get an I-94  with validity per your new approval.   I have done that  when I was fairly certain that I would be able to file my 485 (and hence get AP) before my next trip abroad. 

To naysayers --- Visa stamping is a pain in the a**  in many places.   For example,  in Mumbai,  you have to first  pay fee in designated bank (not available in many small towns) ,  get receipt , apply online,  submit the papers 5 days before the interview and then spend a day for interview.   It is a daunting task if you do not have anyone local who can help .   I faced it since I am not a native of Mumbai (or  of any other metro). 

Once you get the visa you can travel any number of times. If you think visa interview is pain in the ... then don't attend the interview. OP was worried about his expiring visa, any person in this situation will plan to attend visa interview.

OP was not worrying .  His question was simple "So is it ok to travel to India without getting stamping on the new H1 extension?".  And the simple answer is "Yes".  Not "Get a new visa"  or "Why would you not get new stamping". 

Every person has their own reason to attend visa stamping.   As I said earlier,  I did not want to waste  5 days+   of my limited vacation time (and money) sitting in a metro just for Visa Stamping .   For  people who are native of a Metro,  it is simple but not so for someone whose hometown is far from any metro.

OP was not worrying .  His question was simple "So is it ok to travel to India without getting stamping on the new H1 extension?".  And the simple answer is "Yes".  Not "Get a new visa"  or "Why would you not get new stamping".

whatever it is, when you have a approved H1 getting your  visa is the best option. Because I don't trust immigration officers at POE.

Of course, you can enter into US even when your visa expires within one day.

Archived