COS H4 to F1 RFE - Bank Statement

JoeF66

Hi, 

I recently applied for COS from H4 to F1 and attached a Bank Letter from my spouse's account showing requisite funds (~25K). Since my spouse only had 13K funds in the months at that time, the remaining funds were deposited from other sources and the bank letter showing availability of funds at that time was submitted.

Now, I got a RFE asking for three most recent bank statements issued prior to taking this bank statement. My husband also has other funds in 401K and IRA which can be used for education but were not submitted earlier with the COS application. Any ideas on how to respond to this RFE? Thanks.

Hi, 

I recently applied for COS from H4 to F1 and attached a Bank Letter from my spouse's account showing requisite funds (~25K). Since my spouse only had 13K funds in the months at that time, the remaining funds were deposited from other sources and the bank letter showing availability of funds at that time was submitted.

Now, I got a RFE asking for three most recent bank statements issued prior to taking this bank statement. My husband also has other funds in 401K and IRA which can be used for education but were not submitted earlier with the COS application. Any ideas on how to respond to this RFE? Thanks.

Send them three recent bank statements requested that showed 25K.

401K and IRAs (unless Roth) are for retirement and are not generally countable for immediate use. There is significant penalty for withdrawals of IRAs and 401Ks are not accessible unless he leaves the sponsor in all cases I have ever dealt with.

If funds were deposited  strictly to show availablity at the time of filing, that was significant financial misrepresentation. Send the requested bank statements but do not expect that 401K and IRAs will be useful.

Archived