H1B to F1 visa

nikhil.00100

Hello All

I am a Mechanical Engineer and completed my Masters from University of Missouri Rolla in May 2011. I applied for OPT and then OPT Stem extension as well. My employer sponsored my H1B and H1B status was activated from Dec 5, 2012 and is valid until September 30, 2015

I am planning to go for full time MBA in the near future (fall 2015 or 2016) and I am currently on a valid H1B visa. I would like to know if after going back to F1 status, will I be able to get OPT period after completion of the course. and also if I find an employer after my MBA, do I become the part of that years cap or I just get an H1B transfer like in the case of an employer change

I want to thank everyone in advance and I really need some genuine advice

Hello All

I am a Mechanical Engineer and completed my Masters from University of Missouri Rolla in May 2011. I applied for OPT and then OPT Stem extension as well. My employer sponsored my H1B and H1B status was activated from Dec 5, 2012 and is valid until September 30, 2015

I am planning to go for full time MBA in the near future (fall 2015 or 2016) and I am currently on a valid H1B visa. I would like to know if after going back to F1 status, will I be able to get OPT period after completion of the course. and also if I find an employer after my MBA, do I become the part of that years cap or I just get an H1B transfer like in the case of an employer change

I want to thank everyone in advance and I really need some genuine advice

Only if you do a PhD in US you are eligible for OPT again. Yes, an employer can file a cap exempt H1B petition provided you have not reached the max allowed stay of 6 years on H1B. You would get 6 years - time already spent in US on H1B.

Archived