H1b am I CAP exempt?

sureshv120

Hi,

Sorry if this is a dumb question. I tries to research this myself but I don't know what the correct answer is.

My H1b was approved in the 2014 quota. Company B filed it for me. They filed it under consular processing. I could not join them till now for certain reasons beyond my control. Now that I want to join them, company A that I am working for now has given me a better offer at their place and have also offered to apply my H1b. Am I CAP exempt? I am in the US on L1 status at the moment?

One other thing is that since I did not join company B, they did not give me the approval notice. I just have the EAC number. If I am CAP exempt then will not having approval notice cause a problem?

Hi,

Sorry if this is a dumb question. I tries to research this myself but I don't know what the correct answer is.

My H1b was approved in the 2014 quota. Company B filed it for me. They filed it under consular processing. I could not join them till now for certain reasons beyond my control. Now that I want to join them, company A that I am working for now has given me a better offer at their place and have also offered to apply my H1b. Am I CAP exempt? I am in the US on L1 status at the moment?

One other thing is that since I did not join company B, they did not give me the approval notice. I just have the EAC number. If I am CAP exempt then will not having approval notice cause a problem?

Yes, you are cap exempt. Even though a H1B receipt is fine it is better to get a copy of I797.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

As per Murthy lawyer in this forum itself

When a cap-subject H-1B petition is approved, the beneficiary is counted against the cap at that time. There is language in the law regarding being "issued a visa or otherwise provided status," but the effect of that is not clear where the reality is that USCIS counts based on petition approval, not based on visa issuance and not based on provision of status.

Wondering if anything has changed regarding this interpretation of the law this year.

Hi Jairichi,

Hope you are doing good. Just wanted to check with you. Has there been any change to the law in the recent past such that USCIS would consider my case non CAP exempt now? I have heard some lawyers state that my case is non CAP exempt due to a recent change.

I am fine. Thanks. No change as of now. Check with an attorney from Murthy law firm.

How many years you have been on L1? If not 6 years then you are cap exempt and you get 6 years - time spent on L1 status.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived