Query regarding H1B Cap exempt category

sowmiya

Hi ,

I am new to this forum. I am currently working as a software engineer in India and will be coming to US on a H4 visa by July. Due to various reasons, i was unable to file H1 for FY 2015.

I wanted to know about below things.

1.Am i eligible to get a work permit through any one of H1B Cap exempt employers?

2. What kind of job or nature of work it would be, since from the search on internet , those employers are mostly educational institutions, hospitals,non-profit organization?

3.In case i am eligible, Is H1B Visa through actual cap based is different from the visa we obtain through a cap exempt employer? or will there be any conditions for H1 obtained from cap exempt employer?

Thanks,

Sowmiya

Hi ,

I am new to this forum. I am currently working as a software engineer in India and will be coming to US on a H4 visa by July. Due to various reasons, i was unable to file H1 for FY 2015.

I wanted to know about below things.

1.Am i eligible to get a work permit through any one of H1B Cap exempt employers?

2. What kind of job or nature of work it would be, since from the search on internet , those employers are mostly educational institutions, hospitals,non-profit organization?

3.In case i am eligible, Is H1B Visa through actual cap based is different from the visa we obtain through a cap exempt employer? or will there be any conditions for H1 obtained from cap exempt employer?

Thanks,

Sowmiya

1. You can work for non-profit organizations like an university only after changing your status to H1B.

2. Normal job and nothing special.

3. It is a cap exempt H1B petition similar to cap subject petition. The only difference there is no numerical cap and it can be filed anytime in the year.

Not just "mostly."

Only universities, non-profit research organizations affiliated with universities (e.e.g, university hospitals) and government research organizations are cap-exempt, as per the law.

So, for a software engineer, some universities have staff programmer positions. You could apply for such kinds of positions.

Archived