Confusion with H1 and L1 visa status change

kishorkumar.boda

Hi,

I have question regarding change of my visa status.

Currently I m on L1B visa and it expires in July 2014.I m a permenant employee, my employer applied for L1 extension (final NIV till 2016). At the same time my employer also applied for H1B now (April 2014).If I get L1 extenstion (till 2016) and my H1B is picked this year. Can i continue on my L1 till 2016 and change visa status to H1 in 2016? or I need to change my visa status to H1 in October 2014.

It will be great if you can clarify my doubt.

Br,

KKB 

Hi,
I have question regarding change of my visa status.
Currently I m on L1B visa and it expires in July 2014.I m a permenant employee, my employer applied for L1 extension (final NIV till 2016). At the same time my employer also applied for H1B now (April 2014).If I get L1 extenstion (till 2016) and my H1B is picked this year. Can i continue on my L1 till 2016 and change visa status to H1 in 2016? or I need to change my visa status to H1 in October 2014.

It will be great if you can clarify my doubt.

Br,
KKB 

If employer filed H1B as COS and it gets approved after L1B extension approval then to continue on L1B status you need to exit and enter US with a valid L1B visa and I797. You can move to H1B later anytime and you would get 6 years - time already spent on L1B status in US.

Archived