OPT approved after enrolling into another Program

PMRG1125

Hi All,

Need advise/Sugestion on a OPT situation for one of my friend.

She recently graduated from her Masters from a accredited university. She applied for her OPT in January. In March, she changed her plans and made a decision to continue her studies in the same univeristy and enrolled in MBA.

During the process of enrollment, she wrote letter to USCIS asking to cancel her OPT application. However, after couple days of enrollment, she got her OPT approved and USCIS is sending the OPT card in the mail.

She is wondering on what her options, Looking for some advise for:

Is her OPT valid or not valid?

she cannot re apply for her OPT after her MBA ?

Hi All,

Need advise/Sugestion on a OPT situation for one of my friend.

She recently graduated from her Masters from a accredited university. She applied for her OPT in January. In March, she changed her plans and made a decision to continue her studies in the same univeristy and enrolled in MBA.

During the process of enrollment, she wrote letter to USCIS asking to cancel her OPT application. However, after couple days of enrollment, she got her OPT approved and USCIS is sending the OPT card in the mail.

She is wondering on what her options, Looking for some advise for:

Is her OPT valid or not valid?

she cannot re apply for her OPT after her MBA ?

Her OPT is valid.

She cannot get OPT for MBA if she obtained OPT now based on graduating from a master's program.

The OPT is not valid because she enrolled in another program.

The act of enrolling automatically cancels any OPT.

Hi Joef,

Thats what I assume too. But she enrolled in MBA on 03/31/2014. She was assuming that it will terminate her OPT petition. However, they approved the OPT on 04/04/2014.

She spoke to the DSO, they informed her that they cannot see the OPT status in the SEVIS system, all they could see is MBA I-20 as active.

Students can enroll into classes while on OPT (not full-time) but cannot enroll into a new program because new program

requires issuance of new I-20, hence terminating the original OPT. 

Your post looks like your friend did applied into another program and the new I-20 was issued. The OPT must have been approved because of the delay of information from one system to the other. Your friend's option is now to continue pursuing the degree and maintaining student status.

Archived