On H1B but client released

scsb

Hi, I am on H1b and employed with a reputed Indian IT company.At present I am pregnant with diabetes, so I fall under high risk and I am on injection everyday.Its my 7th month going on. Recently my project got over as beyond 2 yrs client didnt want to continue and thats also my employers fault as they had to put me as a prime vendor resource instead they put me as contractor and that too by mistake. Now they are saying they didnt know. At this point of time I am the only earning person and my husband is on a vacation(from India) staying with me just to help me out. Can my employer ask me to go back to India in this situation? Can they ask me to stay here but without paying me?If they dont pay me then how can I survive?what will happen with my delivery, my baby, my hospital expense? I am very tensed. Please suggest.

Hi, I am on H1b and employed with a reputed Indian IT company.At present I am pregnant with diabetes, so I fall under high risk and I am on injection everyday.Its my 7th month going on. Recently my project got over as beyond 2 yrs client didnt want to continue and thats also my employers fault as they had to put me as a prime vendor resource instead they put me as contractor and that too by mistake. Now they are saying they didnt know. At this point of time I am the only earning person and my husband is on a vacation(from India) staying with me just to help me out. Can my employer ask me to go back to India in this situation? Can they ask me to stay here but without paying me?If they dont pay me then how can I survive?what will happen with my delivery, my baby, my hospital expense? I am very tensed. Please suggest.

You need to talk to your employer and your doctor asap. Also, discuss about insurance coverage too. If you are not paid you are out of status. If your doctor advise that you can travel then do so asap.

You need to review the disability coverage offered by your company.  If you are having difficulty understanding what is or should happen and you are getting a hard time from your supervisor and HR, seek the assistance of a labor law attorney. Pregnancy as a disability has certain protections but one cannot comment on them on a forum because they are company specific with the plans implemented at the company and the state in which you live and work..

It is certainly possible that there is no short term disability coverage for employees at your company. In that case, if you are unable to work, you may not receive pay. On the other hand, you may have coverage at full pay.

Archived