H1B - Bond Termination

mrdilemma123

Hello,

I have signed a bond with my employer for H1B Visa. My Visa has already been processed with approval from USCIS in July 2013 but my stamping is not done yet and I'm yet to travel to the US. I currently want to quit as I feel that the employer is just making me wait till July for the bond to expire.

The Bond is for $12000 and I had signed it in Feb 2013. It says that the bond comes into effect from the day you sign the agreement. On top of that it is valid for 2 years from the date you travel to the US.

It also says that bond becomes void if the employer doesn't send you one year from the date your visa is 'approved'. I got an approval from USCIS in July.

Here a few questions I have:

1. Can I break the bond today and not pay the bond amount since I haven't travelled yet?

2. Since the employer has not sent me anyways, should I wait till July for the bond to expire? 

3. Are these kind of bonds valid in India when the employer doesn't even send you to the US but just retains you using the bond as an excuse?

Can someone please suggest what to do?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hello,

I have signed a bond with my employer for H1B Visa. My Visa has already been processed with approval from USCIS in July 2013 but my stamping is not done yet and I'm yet to travel to the US. I currently want to quit as I feel that the employer is just making me wait till July for the bond to expire.

The Bond is for $12000 and I had signed it in Feb 2013. It says that the bond comes into effect from the day you sign the agreement. On top of that it is valid for 2 years from the date you travel to the US.

It also says that bond becomes void if the employer doesn't send you one year from the date your visa is 'approved'. I got an approval from USCIS in July.

Here a few questions I have:

1. Can I break the bond today and not pay the bond amount since I haven't travelled yet?

2. Since the employer has not sent me anyways, should I wait till July for the bond to expire? 

3. Are these kind of bonds valid in India when the employer doesn't even send you to the US but just retains you using the bond as an excuse?

Can someone please suggest what to do?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1. By July 2014 you can break the bond and no need to pay anything.

2. Yes.

3. If it is a legal document then it is valid.

Still talk to a good attorney.

Have the contract read by a US attorney to determine what obligations you have under US law and an Indian attorney for Indian law.

NEVER sign anything that you do not intend to comply with. You were willing to do ANYTHING to come to the US and now you have to deal with your desperation.  Would a legitimate employer want to hire you?  If so, why did you become involved with your current H1B sponsor? If not, we know why you did.

Archived