Skilled tradesman

I am a skilled tradesman from Canada looking to re-locate to the US.  I have looked into the job market in my target area and my skill is in high demand with several Employers showing strong interest hiring me.  Most of these employers run small businesses and have been looking actively for people with my skill set in the US before without having any luck.  I am currently unemployed in Canada and would like to take one of these opportunities sooner than later.  What options do I have for visa's and/or permanent residency?

I am a skilled tradesman from Canada looking to re-locate to the US.  I have looked into the job market in my target area and my skill is in high demand with several Employers showing strong interest hiring me.  Most of these employers run small businesses and have been looking actively for people with my skill set in the US before without having any luck.  I am currently unemployed in Canada and would like to take one of these opportunities sooner than later.  What options do I have for visa's and/or permanent residency?

If it a highly skilled work with high demand (limited local resource available) you should look for O1 visa eligibility in USCIS website.

I should probably point out that my trade is automotive technician.  Might be grasping but possibly a Tn visa under scientific technician?  (theoretical knowledge mechanical engineering with the ability to solve practical problems)

Per a Department of State memo, "The technician who assists the engineer to design and develop new technology may qualify [as a Scientific Technician/Technologist], but the mechanic who repairs and maintains the technology after it is built may not."

so if the Tn is out, does that just leave me with the H-1?  My concern with the H-1 is availabilty and cost for the employer.  The small businesses that I would work for do not have the resorces that the large tech giants have.

For an H1, the job has to require at least a 4-year bachelor degree.

Archived