Starting Business on F1 OPT STEM

agfx

Hi,

I am currently in my post completion OPT phase and have applied for STEM extension. My STEM extension expires Sep 2015 and i wish to start a company here. As per OPT STEM rules, I am allowed to start a business and work for it as long as the company is e-verified, which is fine for me. 

I wish to know what happens once my STEM extension expires? What will be my options to stay and continue with my company here?

I know investor visa is one way, but it requires $1 Million investment, which I don't think I would be able to make within first year of my business. So what does this leaves me with?

Any comments?

Thanks,

AG

Your plan is fatally flawed. You may not just start a business and use it to live in the US.

OPT-EXT requires that you work in your field and be PAID.

Most businesses in the US FAIL.

Get a REAL job and once you have experience, money and a GC, then you can worry about starting a business and working for it.

When your OPT expires, you won't be able to work for the business anymore.

That's why starting a business on OPT is not such a good idea...

Thanks for your response. That's what I thought would be the case. I would need to change to a H1 / GC or some other form of valid permit.

Your plan is fatally flawed. You may not just start a business and use it to live in the US.

OPT-EXT requires that you work in your field and be PAID.

Most businesses in the US FAIL.

Get a REAL job and once you have experience, money and a GC, then you can worry about starting a business and working for it.

Thanks for your response. To clarify here, my business will be in my field as well as pay me a monthly salary(say X). I already  have a real job and wish to hold it until my venture pays ENOUGH. I wish to understand if I can keep my Job AND set up the venture?

Archived