Travel outside country when visa changed from h4 >> f1 but not stamped

boiler7up

My wife was on a H4B last year in 2013 – visa stamped and i-94 done and everything in good shape. This year we converted her visa status to F1 – she is pursuing her Masters degree. The F1 visa change was approved and I-20 processed by university. She hasn’t obtained a new visa stamp yet. The passport still has the old H4B visa stamp w/ validity until 2015.

We are making some plans to travel outside the country in May –

a) would her visa stamp being the H4 and not the current F1 status be an issue upon arrival back in to the states? Or just keeping both sets of documents in possession enough to prove we are in good standing to CBP officer?

b) or just not even mention the f1 to the cbp officer and just stick to the H4? Will their system update show the sevis change?

Can you please advise.

My wife was on a H4B last year in 2013 – visa stamped and i-94 done and everything in good shape. This year we converted her visa status to F1 – she is pursuing her Masters degree. The F1 visa change was approved and I-20 processed by university. She hasn’t obtained a new visa stamp yet. The passport still has the old H4B visa stamp w/ validity until 2015.

We are making some plans to travel outside the country in May –

a) would her visa stamp being the H4 and not the current F1 status be an issue upon arrival back in to the states? Or just keeping both sets of documents in possession enough to prove we are in good standing to CBP officer?

b) or just not even mention the f1 to the cbp officer and just stick to the H4? Will their system update show the sevis change?

Can you please advise.

1. If she wants to enter on F1 visa and stay on F1 status she needs to go for visa stamping with relevant documents. If she wants to enter on H4 visa and stay on H4 status then she needs a valid H4 visa and a copy of your I797.

2. Refer 1.

Archived