Serious illness on H1b visa.

kumar2011

Hi,

I am currently on H1b visa and my wife is on h4 visa. I have been diagnosed with a serious illness and during treatment will not be able to work. There is no short term or long term disability provided by my employer, only FMLA which might be 3 months vacation with insurance.

I am unsure which visa to transfer to after my employment is terminated. I have to remain in USA for a long time for the treatment.

Also any idea which insurance is suitable during that time.

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

I am currently on H1b visa and my wife is on h4 visa. I have been diagnosed with a serious illness and during treatment will not be able to work. There is no short term or long term disability provided by my employer, only FMLA which might be 3 months vacation with insurance.

I am unsure which visa to transfer to after my employment is terminated. I have to remain in USA for a long time for the treatment.

Also any idea which insurance is suitable during that time.

Thanks in advance.

Unfortunately you cannot stay for a long time in US after termination of employment. You need to talk to an immigration attorney asap to explore options.

After you are terminated, you are eligible for COBRA. If you qualify for FMLA, you likely qualify for COBRA; it is not like a vacation. If you have paid vacation, use it first.  You may be able to get w B2 visa for medical treatment.

I take it you wife is not qualified for a guest worker visa.

Since you have no disability insurance, you might consider returning home once you are stabilized so you wife can work and you can live with family.  You will rapidly go through your financial reserves if you are unemployed and having to make insurance copays and buy meds in addition to paying normal living expenses.

Archived