J1 to H1B

smiter

Hello,

Please help me with the following situation:

Currently I'm working as Trainee on J1 visa (12 month contract). My visa and DS 2019 expires in June, 2014. I don't have 2 years rule.

My company filled H1B for me (premium)

1. Will I be able to stay legally in USA from June to October if H1B will be approved without leaving the USA? 

2. As I know - maximum duration of Trainee is 18 months. Can I extend my visa up to October (4 months) and then start working on H1B status?

Hello,

Please help me with the following situation:

Currently I'm working as Trainee on J1 visa (12 month contract). My visa and DS 2019 expires in June, 2014. I don't have 2 years rule.

My company filled H1B for me (premium)

1. Will I be able to stay legally in USA from June to October if H1B will be approved without leaving the USA? 

2. As I know - maximum duration of Trainee is 18 months. Can I extend my visa up to October (4 months) and then start working on H1B status?

1. You have 30 days period from the date of expiry on DS2019 to leave US.

2. Max allowed time on J1 is 5 years. Only your employer has the right to extend it.

No, I don't have 2 year HRR.

Any idea what will be happen if I extend my J1 for 6 months more(to the maximum period) and J1 will overlap h1b? Would I be able to stop working on J1 and start working on H1B right after 1 of October?

If employer files your H1B petition as COS then after approval you automatically move to H1B from 1st Oct.

If my employer will extend my j1 visa for 6 months more until December and I will get approval for the H1B from another employer:

Will I be able to stop working on J1 for my current employer and start working on H1B at October on another employer?

If my employer will extend my j1 visa for 6 months more until December and I will get approval for the H1B from another employer:

Will I be able to stop working on J1 for my current employer and start working on H1B at October on another employer?

Yes, provided you do not have contractual obligations with J1 employer.

Archived