URGENT - medical insurance for H4

gc_av

hi

i am on h1 visa and my wife is on h4

is my wife also eligible to get medical insurance using Obamacare?

as last date is march 31, would really appreciate if some one could provide quick response

If you have medical insurance through your employer then you can add your spouse to that plan.

thanks a lot all for your responses. 

my employer has only 12 employees and only 2 employees in my state and hence doesn't provide health insurance. they requested us to get it from market.

did anyone apply for insurance for their family (with people both on h1 and h4) and get approval?

You are better off, IMO, going around the exchange and going directly to a large insurer in your state (Blue Cross is the one of choice in my state) since as a H1B employee with only 1 dependent, you are unlikely to qualify for a subsidy. 

@t75 - Thanks for your help, let me try to get insurance directly with insurance companies as well as another option.

As my wife is pregnant, think if I do not take insurance from Obamacare marketplace, it might be tough to get insurance from outside.

Not sure if Obamacare compliant insurance plans would be available directly from insurance companies beyond open enrollment deadline.

@t75 - Thanks for your help, let me try to get insurance directly with insurance companies as well as another option.

As my wife is pregnant, think if I do not take insurance from Obamacare marketplace, it might be tough to get insurance from outside.

Not sure if Obamacare compliant insurance plans would be available directly from insurance companies beyond open enrollment deadline.

Since your wife is pregnant many insurance companies consider this as pre-existing conditions and do not provide coverage. Double check before you enroll.

Do you have insurance now?

Also, pre-existing conditions cannot be excluded now. I do not know if pregnancy counts since that was not of interest to my family member that I shopped for (who has a pre-existing condition and was previously uninsurable.).

Since it is later than 3/31, I hope you meet the requirements for the extension.

We had taken less comprehensive insurance plan last year.

We enrolled for Platinum plan from Obamacare marketplace during March and have paid the premium as well. Its status is still pending, hope it gets cleared soon.

Thanks again for taking time to share your responses.

• 3 weeks later...

FYI,  a good employer will make arrangements to supply health insurance for their employees independent of their location. For example,  my child's employer provides him with an international plan since he is an expat employed by the US branch but based outside the US much like an L1 to the US.

hi

i am on h1 visa and my wife is on h4

is my wife also eligible to get medical insurance using Obamacare?

as last date is march 31, would really appreciate if some one could provide quick response

@gc_av:

Are h1-b visa guys eligible for obama care.. ? Any way looking for next enrollment in november 2014

I have health insurance now from outside like blue cross blue shield in GA

they are not providing any plan for maternity .. Have you got approved from Obama care /Health care

what is the process and steps for applying it

Thanks,

Suman.

@gc_av:

Are h1-b visa guys eligible for obama care.. ? Any way looking for next enrollment in november 2014

I have health insurance now from outside like blue cross blue shield in GA

they are not providing any plan for maternity .. Have you got approved from Obama care /Health care

what is the process and steps for applying it

Thanks,

Suman.

Everyone is eligible for obamacare.

What about your employer? Is he not providing you any insurance??

Since you can afford outside insurance, IMO, that is what you need to keep.Employer sponsored policies are the best choice in most cases, then those direct from the insurer, and exchange plans last. The policies are such that many doctors are not taking exchange plans.

• 3 months later...

You can call the call center ( healthcare.gov) and they operator can help you choose and apply for a plan. Everyone is eligible to apply and having a baby is a good enough reason to enroll in marketplace plan even after enrollment period has ended.

you might also qualify for tax credits or subsidy

-anwar

Archived