Parents in law visa rejected

rakumar

My in laws were rejected B2 visitor visa. In 1984 they came to USA on immigrant visa which was applied by their relatives(Father in law sister). They stayed for one year and returned back in 1985 and never came back to USA. They did not apply for citizenship also. Now me being the sponsor they  applied for B2 visitor visa. After a couple of questions about their previous travel the visa officer said as already they had immigrant visa they cannot be issued a non immigrant visa as per rules. But their immigrant visa was in 1984 and it might have expired as they never traveled back to USA. Just to be correct in providing the information in DS-160 we had to mention about their previous travel and immigrant visa information. 

Now we are confused how to proceed. Can any one help and guide the right process?

My in laws were rejected B2 visitor visa. In 1984 they came to USA on immigrant visa which was applied by their relatives(Father in law sister). They stayed for one year and returned back in 1985 and never came back to USA. They did not apply for citizenship also. Now me being the sponsor they  applied for B2 visitor visa. After a couple of questions about their previous travel the visa officer said as already they had immigrant visa they cannot be issued a non immigrant visa as per rules. But their immigrant visa was in 1984 and it might have expired as they never traveled back to USA. Just to be correct in providing the information in DS-160 we had to mention about their previous travel and immigrant visa information. 

Now we are confused how to proceed. Can any one help and guide the right process?

Unfortunately the year of having an immigrant visa doesn't matter. I would be impossible to get a visitor visa. Talk to an immigration attorney.

Their permanent residency has been abandoned. They should have surrendered their GCs when they decided they did not want to live in the US.  At this point, it will be hard to convince a VO they do not intend to overstay since they did not formally abandon their GC.

Their permanent residency has been abandoned. They should have surrendered their GCs when they decided they did not want to live in the US.  At this point, it will be hard to convince a VO they do not intend to overstay since they did not formally abandon their GC.

Will be there be any chance if we try once again with Form I-407? I am not sure how to proceed in such situations.

Archived