COS H1 to F1 Query for Resident Proof in India

Tanyashah

Hi there,

My case for I-539 has been updated by USCIS now and They are requesting for more evidence as below :

Maintenance Of Status : Asking for most recent pay statements

Comments: The last one I have is for August 2013. Then, I applied for F1 and received I-20  in Sept. and applied for I-539 in Oct 2013.  There is one month of gap in between last pay and I-539 application as I was researching for schools. However, my 797 was valid until Feb 2014.

Temporary Nature of Stay :

You are seeking a change of status to an F-1 student; however F-1 status is temporary. Please submit a statement in which you describe your intention concerning departure from the United States.

Comments: I came to US on H1 and worked here for almost 6 years. H1 expired in Feb 2014 but applied for I-539 in October and started going to school.

Residence Abroad :

Regulations require that a non immigrant student must establish that he or she has a residence abroad which he or she has no intention of abandoning. Please submit documentation to establish that you have a foreign residence where you intend to reside at the expiration of your  F status. Such documentary evidence includes current telephone bills, current utility bills, current mortgage statement, current rental agreement, current rent receipts etc.

Comments: I have been out of country for over 6 years. I just have my voting card- Pen Card and Ration Card on my name in India. My dad has everything on his name and he can provide a letter saying I will stay with him when I go back to India. I am not sure if they will accept that.

Has any one had this query before and had similar situation? Need help!!!

Hi there,

My case for I-539 has been updated by USCIS now and They are requesting for more evidence as below :

Maintenance Of Status : Asking for most recent pay statements

Comments: The last one I have is for August 2013. Then, I applied for F1 and received I-20  in Sept. and applied for I-539 in Oct 2013.  There is one month of gap in between last pay and I-539 application as I was researching for schools. However, my 797 was valid until Feb 2014.

Temporary Nature of Stay :

You are seeking a change of status to an F-1 student; however F-1 status is temporary. Please submit a statement in which you describe your intention concerning departure from the United States.

Comments: I came to US on H1 and worked here for almost 6 years. H1 expired in Feb 2014 but applied for I-539 in October and started going to school.

Residence Abroad :

Regulations require that a non immigrant student must establish that he or she has a residence abroad which he or she has no intention of abandoning. Please submit documentation to establish that you have a foreign residence where you intend to reside at the expiration of your  F status. Such documentary evidence includes current telephone bills, current utility bills, current mortgage statement, current rental agreement, current rent receipts etc.

Comments: I have been out of country for over 6 years. I just have my voting card- Pen Card and Ration Card on my name in India. My dad has everything on his name and he can provide a letter saying I will stay with him when I go back to India. I am not sure if they will accept that.

Has any one had this query before and had similar situation? Need help!!!

Maintenance Of Status : You were out of status during that one month. The moment you stop working and did not file COS you are out of status.

Temporary Nature of Stay Try to justify. But, I think it is almost impossible after 6 years stay on H1B.

Residence Abroad : Provide all those proofs you have. But, in my opinion it will not be sufficient enough. Your dad's letter is of no use here.

I do not think you will get F1 status or visa. Take the help of an attorney.

Archived