H1B employer change (New I797) after visa stamp - Do I need new visa stamp ?

frieds4u

Hi,

I am currently in India.

I have got my visa stamped recently for H1B petiton from company A.

I have got better offer from a company B, they filed my H1 and got approval. So Now I want to travel to US based on petition from Company B (instead of original company A).

My question is ..

Do I need to get a new visa stamp on my passport based on new I 797 for company B ?

OR

can I travel with existing visa statmp which is for company A along with I797 from company B ?

I have checked lot of forums and found most of the answers saying that I can travel based on existing visa stamp (along with new peition) and do NOT need a new visa stamp in my passport. Many people have even travelled this way without any problem at the Port of entry.

However, I have written an email to us visa service desk to get official answer.

and this is what I got ..

"

Thank you for writing to the U.S. Visa Service Desk.

We understand that you hold a valid H1B visa and would like to change your employer and want to know if you need to apply for a new visa or can travel on your existing visa.

With regards to your query, we would like to inform you that, in general, if you have a new petition with a different employer, you need to apply for a new visa. In certain situations (such as corporate restructuring), it may be possible to travel back with your current I-797 and visa. Please follow the link "http://cdn.ustraveldocs.com/in/in-gen-faq.asp#work41" for more information.

Additionally, you can follow the link "http://cdn.ustraveldocs.com/in/in-niv-typework.asp" visa and the application process.

We hope this answers your query.
Have a pleasant day!

Yours Sincerely,
U.S. Visa Service Desk.

"

I have also called them today to reconfirm... and they mentioned that I do need a new visa stamp if I have a new I797...

I am not sure if this is correc then how come so many other people are having different answers with real experience..

Hi,

I am currently in India.

I have got better offer from a company B, they filed my H1 and got approval. So Now I want to travel to US based on petition from Company B (instead of original company A).

My question is ..

Do I need to get a new visa stamp on my passport based on new I 797 for company B ?

OR

can I travel with existing visa statmp which is for company A along with I797 from company B ?

I have checked lot of forums and found most of the answers saying that I can travel based on existing visa stamp (along with new peition) and do NOT need a new visa stamp in my passport. Many people have even travelled this way without any problem at the Port of entry.

However, I have written an email to us visa service desk to get official answer.

"

We understand that you hold a valid H1B visa and would like to change your employer and want to know if you need to apply for a new visa or can travel on your existing visa.

With regards to your query, we would like to inform you that, in general, if you have a new petition with a different employer, you need to apply for a new visa. In certain situations (such as corporate restructuring), it may be possible to travel back with your current I-797 and visa. Please follow the link "http://cdn.ustraveldocs.com/in/in-gen-faq.asp#work41" for more information.

Additionally, you can follow the link "http://cdn.ustraveldocs.com/in/in-niv-typework.asp" visa and the application process.

Have a pleasant day!

Yours Sincerely,

U.S. Visa Service Desk.

"

I have also called them today to reconfirm... and they mentioned that I do need a new visa stamp if I have a new I797...

I am not sure if this is correc then how come so many other people are having different answers with real experience..

You can travel with existing valid H1B visa and new employer's I797.

• 4 months later...

Hi,

I am currently in India.

My question is ..

OR

"

Have a pleasant day!

Yours Sincerely,

U.S. Visa Service Desk.

"

Did you travel and come back?am in the same scenario-Changed employer and valid visa stamp in passport.Could you please post if you had any issues etc.Could you please share your experience at POE.

Archived