H4 COS, Travelled outside the country

shailu

I have applied for COS from H1-H4 in December and still waiting for the decision. Due to family emergency, i had to leave to India end of January. I did not have enough time to inquire if it was ok to travel when COS is pending.

I was under an impression, once my H4 gets approved i can go for stamping at the Consulate in India and travel back to US. But recently i came to know that my existing I539 will likely get denied due the reason i left the country and it is considered abandonment.

Now i'm planning to go for H4 interview at the Consulate with my husband's H1 papers. He is a full time employee with one of the fortune 500 companies.

1. Will i be asked questions about existing I539 application during the interview? Is there possibility of not issuing visa due to this existing petition?

2. Will i be considered Out of status from Dec to end of Jan although a I539 was filed on my behalf but it getting cancelled due to the fact that i left the Country? If so, will this cause any issues when i apply for H1 in the future?

Experts please provide your valuable suggestions.

Thanks,

Shailu

I have applied for COS from H1-H4 in December and still waiting for the decision. Due to family emergency, i had to leave to India end of January. I did not have enough time to inquire if it was ok to travel when COS is pending.

I was under an impression, once my H4 gets approved i can go for stamping at the Consulate in India and travel back to US. But recently i came to know that my existing I539 will likely get denied due the reason i left the country and it is considered abandonment.

Now i'm planning to go for H4 interview at the Consulate with my husband's H1 papers. He is a full time employee with one of the fortune 500 companies.

1. Will i be asked questions about existing I539 application during the interview? Is there possibility of not issuing visa due to this existing petition?

2. Will i be considered Out of status from Dec to end of Jan although a I539 was filed on my behalf but it getting cancelled due to the fact that i left the Country? If so, will this cause any issues when i apply for H1 in the future?

Thanks,

Shailu

1. No. You are fine.

2. You are fine.

You will most likely be asked questions regarding the period your COS petition was pending. Prior to completing the DS160 H4 visa application it is advisable to speak directly with a qualified U.S. immigration attorney to ensure your situation is explained clearly. The Murthy Law Firm has a very well-regarded H1B Department with extensive experience who would be able to provide you with excellent assistance. Please feel free to call our office to schedule a consultation with one of our attorneys.

Thanks,

Shailu

Have your I539 receipt notice to show that your COS petition was filed in time.

Archived