Cap-Gap Extension on F-1 status

Buckeye_OH

I had a question about the cap-gap extension. Based on the cap-gap extension information I have read online as well as checked with my DSO, I have received different answers.

So I am currently on an F-1 visa and have used up all my OPT last year. An employer is filing my H-1B this year and my current program end date on the I-20 is June, 2014. In case my H-1 application gets picked up in the lottery, will the cap-gap extension apply to my case and extend my F-1 status from June to Sep? Do you have to be on OPT for the cap-gap to take effect?

Thanks in advance for the responses.

I had a question about the cap-gap extension. Based on the cap-gap extension information I have read online as well as checked with my DSO, I have received different answers.

So I am currently on an F-1 visa and have used up all my OPT last year. An employer is filing my H-1B this year and my current program end date on the I-20 is June, 2014. In case my H-1 application gets picked up in the lottery, will the cap-gap extension apply to my case and extend my F-1 status from June to Sep? Do you have to be on OPT for the cap-gap to take effect?

You can apply for cap-gap extension based on H1B petition filing as COS. Check this website.

http://www.uscis.gov/working-united-states/temporary-workers/h-1b-specialty-occupations-and-fashion-models/extension-post-completion-optional-practical-training-opt-and-f-1-status-eligible-students-under-h-1b-cap-gap-regulations

You are eligible for cap cap. 

http://www.uscis.gov/working-united-states/temporary-workers/h-1b-specialty-occupations-and-fashion-models/extension-post-completion-optional-practical-training-opt-and-f-1-status-eligible-students-under-h-1b-cap-gap-regulations

Archived