Applying for F1 (have a 221G on my previous H1 application)I travelled to US in the year 2010 on a valid H1B visa. I returned back to India after the

viveksahay

Please help with this situation:

History : I travelled to US in the year 2010 on a valid H1B visa. I returned back to India after the completion of my project in 2011. In the year 2012, I was approached by an employer for a job in the US. He filed an H1B for me. When I went for the stamping at US Consulate for my H1B visa, the officer handed me a paper on section 221(g) which asked for additional information from my petitioner. So my application was placed on hold. I then communicated the same to the petitioner. They told me that they provided the necessary information to the USCIS but I never heard back from USCIS on my visa status (neither acceptance nor rejection). Till date, when I check the status of my application online, it says that its pending due to administrative processing. 

Current Situation: I am now applying for an F1 visa after getting an admission for the MBA program in US. While filling up the DS-160 form I am being asked "Have you ever been refused a U.S. Visa".

My questions: 1) While filling up the DS-160 form I am being asked "Have you ever been refused a U.S. Visa". Shall I answer it as a YES or a NO. Will the 221-G pending status be treated as visa denied ? 

2) Will I have to close the H1B visa case for which the 221g was issued before I could apply for an F1 visa ? If yes, what is the process ?

Please help with this situation:

History : I travelled to US in the year 2010 on a valid H1B visa. I returned back to India after the completion of my project in 2011. In the year 2012, I was approached by an employer for a job in the US. He filed an H1B for me. When I went for the stamping at US Consulate for my H1B visa, the officer handed me a paper on section 221(g) which asked for additional information from my petitioner. So my application was placed on hold. I then communicated the same to the petitioner. They told me that they provided the necessary information to the USCIS but I never heard back from USCIS on my visa status (neither acceptance nor rejection). Till date, when I check the status of my application online, it says that its pending due to administrative processing. 

Current Situation: I am now applying for an F1 visa after getting an admission for the MBA program in US. While filling up the DS-160 form I am being asked "Have you ever been refused a U.S. Visa".

My questions: 1) While filling up the DS-160 form I am being asked "Have you ever been refused a U.S. Visa". Shall I answer it as a YES or a NO. Will the 221-G pending status be treated as visa denied ? 

2) Will I have to close the H1B visa case for which the 221g was issued before I could apply for an F1 visa ? If yes, what is the process ?

1. Your answer is NO as your current visa application with US consulate is still pending.

2. Probably. You would need to withdraw your H1B visa application.

Archived