certified copy of indian passport?

wwwups

Hi all,

Sorry this is a repost from another sub-forum where I did not any replies. I am hoping folks here are more interested in this:

We applied for an ITIN for my wife who is on a H4B last year in person at an IRS center capable of verifying her Indian passport (and eventually sent her original passport in the mail), but her W-7 application was rejected by IRS and my tax return was processed as single. After calling the IRS, it seems that someone put the note that "there was something wrong with the passport", and that her signature seemed to have  been modified.

This is crazy news to us, and after repeated calls to the IRS, we were told that one option was to get a certified copy of her Indian passport through the Indian embassy or consulate. We live in Pittsburgh, and the Indian consulate serving PA is in New York (!). We also had a baby recently, and this only complicates matters. I am wondering if anyone has had luck with getting a certified copy of their passport through the Indian embassy.

The other options we have are not looking good, as her Indian voter's id is riddled with mistakes and the certified ITIN guy at H&R block said that voter's id was practically only for Mexican nationals. We are really frustrated that it is taking us this long to get her an ITIN.

Thanks,

Archived