H4 extension query

joejsn

I was informed by a CBP officer that one has to file form I539 for H4 extensions for dependents

of an H1b holder, they no longer extend the dependent's I94 as they used to, few years ago.

I have a question: are the fees of $290 for each dependent or all the dependents that apply on a single form.

I was also told to avoid such fees, one could go to the border and get the H4 dependents I94 extended based on the H1b holder's already approved I797 and extended I94.

Thanks

Failure to Extend H-4 Status: Significant Problems and Possible Solutions

H-4 dependents who fail to extend their status fall out of status and, in most situations, begin to accrue unlawful presence from the expiration dates on the earlier I-94 cards. If this is detected in time, it may be possible for the dependents to travel abroad, apply for new H-4 visas, and reenter the United States in H-4 status. However, there are bars on returning to the United States for those who have been unlawfully present for more than 180 days. In such situations, legal advice is necessary in order to appropriately weigh one's options and evaluate the risks

I read the above in this forum.

The above says that, one can travel abroad and apply for new H4 visas and reenter in H4 status. but what if you are a Canadian Citizen you don't have to apply for a h4 visa, so can you just leave USA and renter USA? if you overstayed the I94 for just 60 days as the above says the problems arises only after 180 days of unlawfull stay.

I need to know if we can do the above as we plan to leave USA after 60 days of I94(H4 status) expiration and comeback on H4 status with new I94 after 1 month stay abroad.

Archived