Help needed with H1B stamping questions when field of study was changed on F1

heet_pink

Hi,

I am planning to go for H1B stamping in India in May 2014 and I have one particular question that worries me a lot.

I came to US on F1 visa in 2008 on I-20 of a reputed university and my field of Study on I-20 was Master of Mathematics initially. I changed my major to MBA after first semester and got a new I-20 for that. I completed my MBA in 2010 and got H1B approved in 2011 as QA Analyst. It is a full time job as QA Analyst.

My questions are,

1. What kind of questions VO can ask since I have changed my major from Mathematics to MBA? What should I answer VO for those questions?

2. Since my field of study is MBA and I am doing full-time job as QA Analyst, will that be an issue?

I am worried a lot thinking that my H1B would be rejected because I changed the field of study and moreover I am not doing the job in the same area as my study.

If anyone has gone through similar situation, please share the experience.

Thanks & Regards,

Hitesh Patel

Hi,

I am planning to go for H1B stamping in India in May 2014 and I have one particular question that worries me a lot.

I came to US on F1 visa in 2008 on I-20 of a reputed university and my field of Study on I-20 was Master of Mathematics initially. I changed my major to MBA after first semester and got a new I-20 for that. I completed my MBA in 2010 and got H1B approved in 2011 as QA Analyst. It is a full time job as QA Analyst.

My questions are,

1. What kind of questions VO can ask since I have changed my major from Mathematics to MBA? What should I answer VO for those questions?
2. Since my field of study is MBA and I am doing full-time job as QA Analyst, will that be an issue?

I am worried a lot thinking that my H1B would be rejected because I changed the field of study and moreover I am not doing the job in the same area as my study.
If anyone has gone through similar situation, please share the experience.

Thanks & Regards,
Hitesh Patel

Question No.2 is your main issue. You need to have a minimum of 4 years bachelor's degree or its equivalent in a field directly related to your H1B profession. MBA and QA analyst, I do not see the relevance.

While the skills required of a position are specific to that job, I would expect an MBA to be appropriate for your current position. The attorney handling your petition should be able to confirm.

Always tell the truth to US immigration.  Many MBAs are follow-ons to a STEM degree. It should not be an issue.

1.They can ask ANY question, just tell the truth,

2. I don't think that will be any problem as your H1 was approved by USCIS.

Archived