Legal name same as seen on the Permanent Resident Card

txnetizen

Hi,

I am in the process of filling in the N-400 Application for Naturalization, a tad confused about the Part 1 section

1. Current legal name? is it the one on my Green card? or my native country passport? or my SSN card?

2. my first name has two words ( All indian passports have a given name, and surname section..they don't ask for a middle name..so my passport has two words in the given name section). somehow the second word in my first name went missing in my green card

e.g:

my passport :

given name: aa bb

surname: cc

my green card:    cc,aa  (i.e lastname,first name)

my ssn :               aa bb cc

does this mean my other half of first name is lost? will that qualify as name change request? if so can i make the 'bb' in my first name as middle name which is what it should be

-newbee

So I called up USCIS to clear my confusion.

simply put legal name is whatever you have on your birth certificate or name change(by court order) . I was told the name on the Naturalization certificate/doc will be whatever I had mentioned in the application (legal name )

I was advised not to deal with name change etc.. since there were not typos etc ..can mention about the missing part of the first name at the time of interview or whenever I meet a USCIS officer.

I already turned in the application with my correct legal name and green card name..included the supporting doc I submitted during green card processing (brith certificate and the affidavit given by a relative)...will see what happens.

Hopefully this info might help others if at all.

So I called up USCIS to clear my confusion.

simply put legal name is whatever you have on your birth certificate or name change(by court order) . I was told the name on the Naturalization certificate/doc will be whatever I had mentioned in the application (legal name )

I was advised not to deal with name change etc.. since there were not typos etc ..can mention about the missing part of the first name at the time of interview or whenever I meet a USCIS officer.

I already turned in the application with my correct legal name and green card name..included the supporting doc I submitted during green card processing (brith certificate and the affidavit given by a relative)...will see what happens.

Hopefully this info might help others if at all.

If you want to do a name change, you should do that as part of the naturalization process. Much easier there than later.

There are some USCIS districts that don't do name changes with naturalization, e.g., in the CA Bay Area, but most do.

You can add things and fix things at the interview.

• 5 months later...

Update on my application. 

As suggested by the fellow forum member (JoeF) I went through the name change questions/clarifications with the officer who interviewed me at USCIS.  It was a very pleasant experience..all my questions were answered and also signed the document clarifying how my name should appear on my naturalization certificate.

with my application approved, I have already received the date and time of my oath ceremony..waiting for that.

Thanks to JoeF and all the other fellow members of the forum

P.S: my application timeline

March 29 : sent application

May 10: Biometrics appointment

July 10: Letter received with the date and time for interview

Aug 12: Interview day

Aug 25: Letter received with date and time for the oath ceremony

Archived