H1B with B.Sc degree and two years of work experience

eagle_claw

Hi,

I am currently in the US on H4 visa and was planning to apply for a H1B petition this year. I have completed my B.Sc from Andhra University, A.P and have worked for 2 years in a software MNC. I was trying to evaluate my options for filing for a H1B petition as I have read in the USCIS website that minimum qualifications for filing a H1B petition were 16 years of education (or) 15 years of education + 3 years of work experience (which would be considered equivalent to 1 year of degree), however since B.Sc constitutes of 15 years of education, I was not totally sure if I can apply for a H1B. Has anyone been in a similar situation? Also, I have taken a free degree evaluation of my degree at https://www.***.org, which says that B.Sc from Andhra University is equivalent to a U.S bachelors degree (which would be a minimum qualification for H1B), but however I still dont meet the 16 year degree requirement. Just wanted to check if I can still apply for a H1. Thanks in advance. Kindly Help.

Hi,

I am currently in the US on H4 visa and was planning to apply for a H1B petition this year. I have completed my B.Sc from Andhra University, A.P and have worked for 2 years in a software MNC. I was trying to evaluate my options for filing for a H1B petition as I have read in the USCIS website that minimum qualifications for filing a H1B petition were 16 years of education (or) 15 years of education + 3 years of work experience (which would be considered equivalent to 1 year of degree), however since B.Sc constitutes of 15 years of education, I was not totally sure if I can apply for a H1B. Has anyone been in a similar situation? Also, I have taken a free degree evaluation of my degree at https://www.***.org, which says that B.Sc from Andhra University is equivalent to a U.S bachelors degree (which would be a minimum qualification for H1B), but however I still dont meet the 16 year degree requirement. Just wanted to check if I can still apply for a H1. Thanks in advance. Kindly Help.

You need a minimum of 4 years bachelor's degree in relevant field to be eligible for H1B. With your qualification you do not meet that requirement.

Hi,

I am currently in the US on H4 visa and was planning to apply for a H1B petition this year. I have completed my B.Sc from Andhra University, A.P and have worked for 2 years in a software MNC. I was trying to evaluate my options for filing for a H1B petition as I have read in the USCIS website that minimum qualifications for filing a H1B petition were 16 years of education (or) 15 years of education + 3 years of work experience (which would be considered equivalent to 1 year of degree), however since B.Sc constitutes of 15 years of education, I was not totally sure if I can apply for a H1B. Has anyone been in a similar situation? Also, I have taken a free degree evaluation of my degree at https://www.wes.org, which says that B.Sc from Andhra University is equivalent to a U.S bachelors degree (which would be a minimum qualification for H1B), but however I still dont meet the 16 year degree requirement. Just wanted to check if I can still apply for a H1. Thanks in advance. Kindly Help.

Just get your credential evaluation, you will know it.

• 2 weeks later...

My wife is in the same spot. But her degree is not considered a 4 year equivalent

My wife is in H4 and in US now. She has a BCA (Bachelor of Computer applications) degree from India, which is a 3 year degree. She also has 2 years of IT work experience from India.

I understand that she is not eligible for H1 with this qualification (as she either needs a 4 year degree or a 3 year degree with 3 years experience)

What would be the best approach to take to get her to a H1-B visa?

1. Join in a community college and pursue an associate degree? Will those credits get added to bridge the 1 year gap for a 4-year US equivalent?

2. Join a regular graduation college to and pursue courses to bridge the 1 year gap? Will a regular college transfer her credits from India and just allow her to do the necessary courses to bridge the 1 year gap?

3. Work in India itself to add 1 more year of work experience, so that she can use 3 year degree and 3 years experience to make her eligible for H1?

Please let me know which approach will work, and which is faster?

Thanks in advance!

1. Join in a community college and pursue an associate degree? Will those credits get added to bridge the 1 year gap for a 4-year US equivalent?

2. Join a regular graduation college to and pursue courses to bridge the 1 year gap? Will a regular college transfer her credits from India and just allow her to do the necessary courses to bridge the 1 year gap?

3. Work in India itself to add 1 more year of work experience, so that she can use 3 year degree and 3 years experience to make her eligible for H1?

1. AFAIK associate degree cannot be used for H1

2. I am not sure that will work. You need to contact that school DSO.

3. That should work.

My wife is in the same spot. But her degree is not considered a 4 year equivalent

My wife is in H4 and in US now. She has a BCA (Bachelor of Computer applications) degree from India, which is a 3 year degree. She also has 2 years of IT work experience from India.

I understand that she is not eligible for H1 with this qualification (as she either needs a 4 year degree or a 3 year degree with 3 years experience)

What would be the best approach to take to get her to a H1-B visa?

Please let me know which approach will work, and which is faster?

Thanks in advance!

I would go for option 2 but complete the program to graduate.  She would get OPT option and later an employer can file a H1B.

Archived