f1 to h4

prishas

Hello,

Is it possible to apply for change of status from f1 to h4 while staying in the US? I'm currently on OPT and it ends in early September but my f1 expires this summer. My husband in on h1 and I plan to go on h4 after my OPT ends. I just wanted to check the procedure for change of status.

We plan to visit India in December. I'm actually a little scared about the risk involved in case my visa gets denied and I'm not able to come back. 

Any input on this is highly appreciated.

Thanks

Hello,

Is it possible to apply for change of status from f1 to h4 while staying in the US? I'm currently on OPT and it ends in early September but my f1 expires this summer. My husband in on h1 and I plan to go on h4 after my OPT ends. I just wanted to check the procedure for change of status.

We plan to visit India in December. I'm actually a little scared about the risk involved in case my visa gets denied and I'm not able to come back. 

Thanks

Yes, you can file application I539 along with supporting documents and fee with USCIS

• 7 months later...

Hello,

Thanks

Hello Prishas,

I am in the same situation, Could you please help, Did you get your H4 visa?

What documents did you send to USCIS (COS documents)

If you could explain your situation it would be a great help.

• 1 month later...

I had sent the below documents for COS in September, and I recently received my H4 approval.

Copies of I-20, EAD, passport and I-94 to prove current status.
Copies of marriage certificate to prove relationship.
Copies of spouse's H1 approval notice, Visa (if any), I-94, job letter to prove spouse's status.
COS has to be received by USCIS before end of OPT + 60 days if employed or within 90 days of unemployment.

Archived