Approved I 140. Changing Employer. Can I still file I 485 with employer who has my approved I I40?

sapnewinfo

Hi,

I've my I 140 approved. Now I'm changing my employer via H1b transfer. My current employer is retaining the the I 140 and is not revoking it. Do I still have to process GC with my new employer again?

Can I come back to my current employer when I get the priority date and file I 485? How safe is this option?

Regards,

Sam k

The H-1B governs one's current status while the GC application is for a future job. An individual can work for Company B in valid H-1B status while Company A continues to sponsor him or her for the green card. Such a person would need to join Company A upon approval of the I-485 at the latest. It may be prudent to have Company B file a new PERM application and I-140 petition on behalf of the individual just in case Company A decides, at some point in the future, that it can no longer sponsor the individual for the green card.

Dear Attorney,

Then in that case the H1B employee will be submitting latest pay-stubs from company B while filing his/her 485 for Company A. Is it acceptable?

Also you mentioned that the employee should join company A as soon as his/her green card is approved. Right?

In that case is it required to notify USCIS or DOS of change in employment?

Archived