OPT Denied : Am I out of Status

harsha.mvenkata

I graduated on December 31st, 2013 with a MS.

My OPT was denied on Feb 24th 2014. It was denied because my i20 was more than 30 days old. I traveled to India while my OPT was still in initial review for my engagement and I am currently in India. I contacted the International student services at my university and they suggested I reapply immediately without any delay. I have submitted a new OPT application two days ago and it has been received by USCIS.

I would appreciate answers to the following questions :

1) Since I graduated on December 31st, 2013, and my latest application was received within 60 days of my graduation - will I be out of status or am I still on F1 status ?

2) If my OPT goes into initial review soon, will I be able to re-enter US with my new opt application in initial review. 

3) Since, I am India right now while my new application was submitted, - does that mean, I will be considered to be out of status ?

4) If I plan to go for another MS in a different university , do I need to go for Visa stamping again ?

Thanks

Harsha Vardhan

WebRep

currentVote

noRating
noWeight

I graduated on December 31st, 2013 with a MS.

My OPT was denied on Feb 24th 2014. It was denied because my i20 was more than 30 days old. I traveled to India while my OPT was still in initial review for my engagement and I am currently in India. I contacted the International student services at my university and they suggested I reapply immediately without any delay. I have submitted a new OPT application two days ago and it has been received by USCIS.

I would appreciate answers to the following questions :

1) Since I graduated on December 31st, 2013, and my latest application was received within 60 days of my graduation - will I be out of status or am I still on F1 status ?

2) If my OPT goes into initial review soon, will I be able to re-enter US with my new opt application in initial review. 

3) Since, I am India right now while my new application was submitted, - does that mean, I will be considered to be out of status ?

4) If I plan to go for another MS in a different university , do I need to go for Visa stamping again ?

Thanks

Harsha Vardhan

As long as you have a valid F1 visa and I20 with active SEVIS then you can enter US.

Archived