Student working overseas for US-based firm

mferng

Hi all,

I am currently an F-1 student expecting to graduate this May. As I've completed my coursework, I'm about to accept a 3-month position working in Liberia for an international firm based in the United States.  It would start immediately and go through the end of June.

I spoke with my school and they insisted that I needed to get OPT for this position because the firm is based in the US. However, the information I gathered from the internet suggests otherwise--that I do not need to evoke OPT/CPT options because my entire assignment is based in Liberia (and not in the US). 

Can someone please confirm which is the correct interpretation? 

Thanks in advance,

Michelle

There are probably a number of subtitles at play in this situation, such as whether you are hired and paid as an U.S. employee and sent on an overseas assignment or are an employee of a foreign subsidiary of the U.S. company.  Pragmatically, what are your plans after the 3 month position in Liberia?  OPT employment authorization may allow you to return on your F-1 visa and continue to work in the U.S. for the additional ~9 months.  However, OPT employment authorization can on be applied for between 90 days before graduation and 60 days after graduation.  If you wait the 3 months while you are working overseas to apply for OPT employment authorization, then it will be too late for that option.

Hi all,

I am currently an F-1 student expecting to graduate this May. As I've completed my coursework, I'm about to accept a 3-month position working in Liberia for an international firm based in the United States.  It would start immediately and go through the end of June.

I spoke with my school and they insisted that I needed to get OPT for this position because the firm is based in the US. However, the information I gathered from the internet suggests otherwise--that I do not need to evoke OPT/CPT options because my entire assignment is based in Liberia (and not in the US). 

Can someone please confirm which is the correct interpretation? 

Thanks in advance,

Michelle

Since the job is outside US OPT is not involved here.

But since you will be outside the US for 3 months which counts as unemployment, the OPT is terminated.

My understanding is that the OP doesn't even want get OPT. He is right, OPT is not needed for a job abroad, regardless of where the employer is headquartered.

Getting an OPT would just be a waste, since it would get terminated, as you said.

Thank you all for your responses!  All very thoughtful and helpful. 

I will go ahead and start my OPT application, as I will be returning to the US from my assignment at the end of June. If possible, I will just request the start date to be in June, such that I don't exceed the 90 days unemployment before I return.

Again, thanks for the help!

Archived